Science literacy encourages us to read technical topics and make informed decisions. A well-educated, concerned reader, sent this urgent request and asked me to post it. It is an opportunity to use critical thinking skills to solve a global problem. Use your best judgment. Dr.J. Here's the post from Dr. Cousens:
Organic Food Supply Threatened
By Gene Manipulated Organisms From Monsanto
In 2006, the Center for Food Safety sued the USDA for illegally approving genetically modified ("GM") alfalfa. Federal courts agreed and banned GM alfalfa until the USDA could provide an Environmental Impact Statement. The USDA submitted a draft in December of 2009 admitting that GM contamination of non-GM and organic alfalfa crops is certain to occur; that GM contamination will economically impact small and family farmers; that foreign export markets will be at risk due to rejection of GM-contaminated products; and that farmers will be forced to use more toxic herbicides on the crops. In spite of all this, the USDA intends to approve GM alfalfa anyway, stating that neither consumers nor organic farmers care if their organic food is GM contaminated. This of course is complete nonsense, as GM crops ruin the business of organic farmers and the health and wellbeing of the public.
The above evidence is clear. GMOs have an explicitly devastating effect on the environment and the health of the U.S. and global population. In summary, GM technology and GM crops offer no advantages on any level, but rather great disadvantages on every level.
- GM and non-GM cannot coexist as GM crops contaminate the organic crops
- GM foods are dangerous to human and animal health to eat
- Products from animals fed GM crops, have been show to be contaminated with GM materials. This is all done without consumers’ consent.
- GM crops are a long-term economic disaster for farmers.
- GM crops decrease yield potential and increase toxic pesticide use.
- GM companies have dealt duplicitously with the public. GM gives them patents that allow them a monopoly over the global food supply.
Contact Dr. Cousens by Phone or Email