Many people from outside the United States have asked about K-12: Kindergarten through 12th grade. Those queries has prompted this post.
- pre-K and nursery school in the United States are usually for before age 5.
- K is for Kindergarten... around age 5.
- 1-6 is primary school...but, 1-3 make-up Lower School, while, 4-6, is Upper School
- 7-8 is Junior High...but, 4,5,6,7 is Middle School
- 9-12 is Senior High School, but 4-12 is Middle-High School
- Exams include the PSAT and SAT
- Prep school gets one ready for college (or University)
- Community College is usually a 2-year school, but college is used to refer to colleges and universities... We often say, "college," for what a European would call, "University."
- After 4 years of college (=university) comes graduate school..but you need the GRE's before that or MCAT's or other professional exams...
Now, in the USA, people often ask what Year 5 is, or
Gymnasium (France), Baccalaureate (spelling? ... Morocco).
KS4 and higher KS3 level students (in the UK)