Sunday, November 22, 2009

Using Wiki to find National Parks-Searching as Part of Science Literacy

Finding information is a part of literacy. In science literacy, we have searched for journal articles before, but, today I did a search for myself that I turned into the blog post. I learned from doing this search and thought you would enjoy my journey, perhaps finding a new path for your own searches.

Searching for Kabarega National Park on Google came up with a map, but, not much information. There was a link to Wiki, however, so I took it. Still, I didn't come up with much. So in Wiki, I went to request information and was directed to a page to choose a topic. The closest was, "biology." Under, "biology," I selected, "conservation."

There, I found, "National Parks by Country."

I continued my search for Ugandan parks, and I will post what I found. You can look, however, for parks in the country of your interest.

One of the links mentions the Uganda Wildlife Authority, which controls the parks and its website (http://www.uwa.or.ug/)provides additional information.

Clicking on the National Parks of Uganda, however, I did not locate, "Kabarega National Park." So, it is possible for me to go back in to Wiki and ask for someone knowing about that park to post an article. Of course, people may also submit comments or send an e-mail to post an article here, too.

Now, you can try to find some national parks. Pick a geographic location of interest to you. Select a country here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Conservation_by_country. Then, try finding a list of national parks in that country. I'll go through what I found for another country, then, let you check out some on your own. Adults may post their or their children's experiences with this exercise.

In Bolivia, for example, we find the following:
Have fun with this exercise, plan travels, or find e-mail friends or pen friends or penpals. Learn about natural science in the region and share information on your country's natural science.

Post script: Another reference on national parks that I came across during my search today is ParksWatch an organization that fosters biological diversity through park systems. You might like to check out what this group does.

Dr. J

No comments: